Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"IN THE GROOVE" 11058 daily painter textured copper abstract © Carol Nelson Fine Art

"IN THE GROOVE"






If I were Donald Trump, I would have said "You're fired" to me.
THis is a complex painting with two parts, separated by a thin gap, covered with clear resin, and mounted on a larger board.

The last step in assembly of this piece is to glue the two painting panels on to the mounting board.  I use Gorilla glue for this process.

I applied the glue, carefully positioned the two pieces, and put something heavy on each piece.  I KNOW that as Gorilla glue creates the bond, it bubbles and expands a bit.

You have to keep a close eye on your painting to make sure it stays where you want it.  Even with weight on it, it can move.

After I had it all weighted down, I went to check my email FOR JUST A FEW MINUTES.  (Here's where I fire myself)  I got too involved reading email, and when I came back to check this painting, both the top and bottom parts had moved 1/2 inch to the right and were now immovable.

I couldn't BELIEVE it.  I tried to reposition them, but it was no use.  The only solution was to cut 1/2 inch off the wider side.  This is not easy to do with a ancient radial arm saw.

I was oh so careful in measuring and cutting off that 1/2 inch. I had the resin coated parts wrapped in plastic wrap to protect them.  Fortunately, it turned out great.  What makes me mad is that I KNOW BETTER!!

For more information, please click here to go to my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment